It’s November, the time for making memories with your family and friends and practicing your gratitude. If you’ve been invited to celebrate at someone else’s home this year, don’t forget to show your gratitude with a gift for your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving host. At Norton’s Florist, serving Birmingham and the surrounding area, our florists put together a list of creative and thoughtful gift ideas for any host or hostess.
Clever Gift Ideas for Your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving Host
When someone welcomes you into their home and goes through the trouble of organizing a nice holiday meal, the best way to thank them for their hospitality is with a hostess gift. Bringing one is always good manners, and you should never arrive without a little something for your host — even if you’ve been invited to a potluck dinner. It still takes a lot of work to plan and prepare one’s home for guests.
Friendsgiving is just like Thanksgiving, but for friends only. It’s usually scheduled for a day when everyone will be available, like the Wednesday before or after Thanksgiving Day. Since it’s just buddies, it’s a less formal dinner, where fun is always on the menu. So, don’t be afraid to have a little fun picking out a gift for your host.
- Candles that smell like the best part of the holidays (pie and other sweets)
- A pretty and festive centerpiece that will get everyone into the spirit of the season
- A comical set of fridge magnets
- Kitschy oven mitts
- Fuzzy socks for warm toes
- A yoga matt to encourage a healthy holiday season
- Bath bombs to help your friend unwind once everyone’s gone home
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Harvest Glow Centerpiece
It’s important not to show up empty-handed to Thanksgiving dinner at the home of your significant other’s parents. Whether you’re meeting them for the first time or have known the family for years, show your appreciation with a tasteful gift. After all, they’re welcoming you into their home, family, and holiday traditions.
- A candlelit statement centerpiece featuring flowers in autumn colors and other seasonal accents
- An expensive bottle of wine paired with a new aerator or wine glass charms
- A stylish cheeseboard with a set of knives, spreaders, and cheese markers
- A sleek essential oil diffuser with a nice holiday scent
- Whiskey stones and locally distilled spirits
- A pretty box of gourmet chocolates or macarons
- High-quality serving utensils that will be greatly appreciated at Thanksgiving dinner
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
If you’re headed home for Thanksgiving Day and planning to have dinner with your family, show off your great manners by bringing a gift. Choose something that your parents or grandparents will love or something that everyone can enjoy on Thanksgiving.
- A game to play after dinner
- Activities for the kids, like a not-too-messy holiday craft project
- Hydrating hand soap to encourage hand washing and discourage germ spreading
- New toys to occupy the household pets
- High-quality coffee to brew after dinner
- A set of decorative kitchen towels
- A homemade pie baked in a festive, keepsake pie plate
The Gift That’s Always in Style
If you’re still not sure what to get for your host or hostess this Thanksgiving, we highly recommend floral arrangements and potted plants. These items never go out of style, and they’re appropriate for anyone. If you choose flowers, we recommend purchasing an arrangement that’s already been trimmed, designed, and put in water. Your host probably won’t have time to trim freshly cut stems and track down an empty vase, while entertaining guests.
We welcome you to stop by Norton’s Florist showroom for personalized suggestions for the best floral arrangements, potted plants, and centerpieces to give your host.